*~Once Upon a Time~*
(tv shows & cartoons)
MYFCOnline.com Message Boards » Books and Novels »
Book of the Month

First | [1]
Book of the Month
Cafe_Chat on Jul 27, 2017 23:34:40

Posts » 15

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo right now. The- Introduction and Notes by Luc Sante, and Consulting Editorial Director, George Stade edition. At the moment I'm on chapter LIV, titled The Trial. When I'm finished I would like to finalize my thoughts on this version.

I love this version for its notes and overview so far. Recommend it if any readers out there want to pick up a copy of Monte Cristo for the first time. When I started the book in the middle of the month I was addicted. What about you? Have you read it yet? What did you think about it or are you considering picking it up?

This is a place to share what you're reading or recently have finished reading. You can comment your thoughts and reviews here.

----- attachment -----

----- signature -----

Edit 
Re: Book of the Month
Nona on Jul 28, 2017 06:47:00

Posts » 916

The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book of all time. I read it about three years ago, and I'm still obsessed. I read a different version the first time, though, so I'll have to try the version you have when I go to re-read it.

I've found that most books from the same era bore me, or I simply can't get through them; but The Count of Monte Cristo had me reading late into the night.

----- signature -----

"Peace is our gift to each other" - Elie Wiesel
"Wait and Hope" - Alexander Dumas
"The most difficult thing in life is to know yourself" - Thales
Edit 
Libby_VanHelsing on Jul 29, 2017 08:17:28

Posts » 219

???Wait, versions? Isn't there just one book?
I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie and even though I know the ending is totally different than the book, it still made me interested in reading the story.

I'm currently reading the tenth anniversary edition of Vampire Academy. Bonus stories! I just finished the spinoff series Bloodlines. It was good but not as good as the VA series.

----- signature -----

The Roman Empire always Reigns in my world. Romitri is life.

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 08, 2017 12:03:07

Posts » 15

Hi, Nona. I know how you feel, this is my second version of the book and both have been beautifully expansive and immersive. This book will never get old and the Count, himself, will always drift enigmatically through the pages.

Greetings, Libby_VanHelsing. Most of these classics have different versions because their original print is in another language. That means that they might differ in translation. There are also abridged and unabridged versions. In abridged editions, they shorten the length of the book, while trying not to lose the main structure of the original plot. Sometimes it's difficult to translate things, like phrasing, from an exclusive language that might not make sense in English. Different versions try and come close to the original while changing certain things to better explain the plot. It also makes for twisting original text and eliminate what might be considered repetition. Unabridged editions are complete versions of the book. With the most comprehensive translation to the original if in another language.

The one I just read was 618 pages, not counting the notes and endnotes. I read a 900-page version before but in both, the main plot is still the same!

Which Monte Cristo movie did you see? I saw three of them but I only liked two. The one made in 1934 and the one from 2002.

I'll need to read Vampire Academy, Libby! I love vampire themed books a lot.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 09, 2017 08:52:28

Posts » 15

Warning, there are spoilers ahead!

The Count of Monte Cristo, Introduction and Notes by Luc Sante, and Consulting Editorial Director, George Stade edition. Final thoughts, notes, and ramble.

This edition is lovely and refreshing. It has removed several pieces of repetition from an earlier version I had read. Although, in this edition, two chapters were removed that described more of the Count of Monte Cristo's characteristics. That I, personally, felt were important. In this publication, the Count is viewed as a phantom of revenge. Despite his calm and collected nature. He displays a small fraction of bitterness and coldness toward his rivals, behind the scenes and with minimal care. While remaining neutral in the presence of other characters.

In the other edition I have read, the Count was expressed in a way where readers could identify with him and his situation. He was at times conflicted with his plot of revenge, his morals, and reflects on the innocent nature of his former self, Edmond Dantès. These missing chapters were packed with emotion and gave more substance to the character. While I liked the poetic and almost extrasensory nature of the Count in this book. As it focuses more on his enemies and their emotional distress. The Count, orchestrating their torment as a friendly gentleman who happens to marvel as he goes. I also liked the idea of the Count, shutting himself in his study, mulling over his motives. Recalling the young man he used to be and the young man his late, beloved father had always seen him as. That version would make a wonderful marriage with this George Stade edition.

It's not to say that the George Stade edition was void of emotional consequence. Most of my favorite chapters involved beautiful translations of it. Wave after wave. Haydee, conveying her tragic life choked me up still. Valentine and her poisoner had significant weight. My favorite chapter was Chapter XIX, The Treasure Cave. Dantès is alone on the island of Monte Cristo, he thinks back on his escape and journey. His close associates had betrayed him, he had denounced God as his only friend and yet, on the sandy loam, with the stars twinkling in the sky. The island glowed like a divine message. It was breathtaking to read. With every step Dantès took, the island came alive for him. The fluorescent creatures scattered in his path, casting a faint light on the dew accumulating the ground and foliage. The nocturnal life around him amazed him and he grew more confident that the majestic island was a miracle. His transition lasted until dawn, and the Count emerged. Heart pounding read!

This edition also lacks the development of the romantic relationship the Count has with Haydee. Taking her in as a daughter, though she loves him outspokenly. Toward the closing, he gives himself the opportunity to love again. Declaring his chance at a romantic life with her. It's spontaneous and concluding over a few pages but manages to work with the amount of reaction and sentiment. Slightly climactic and dramatic. The apologetic Count relays to her how she was his only beacon in his duty of loneliness. Despite there being small pieces of conversation between the two characters throughout the book. Whatever time they did secure for themselves, they were treated with closeness and tenderness. It tied together in the end.

I greatly recommend this edition of The Count of Monte Cristo. It holds up for being abridged and in comparison to other versions.

The notes by Luc Sante offer a lot, for the times and style this classic title took place in. The historical precision and political conditions.

Here's an example.

Chapter V, The Deputy Procureur Du Roi.
under the usurper's reign, old officers who had deserted their posts to join Conde's army,

The note.

The Prince of Conde led an unsuccessful royalist uprising against Napoléon.

On a note of my own. The cover design of this specific book is by Dulton & Sherman and the cover art, Portrait of Belvèze-Foulon, by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 09, 2017 09:28:43

Posts » 15

Book(s) of September

I'm going to be busy for the rest of August but I did pick up Schindler's List again, for a random read. It's been a long time. Not sure if I'm going to do a review but we'll see.

My September picks are Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and Hamlet by William Shakespeare. Unabridged from Collector's Library, that established in September. Only fitting!

----- attachment -----

----- signature -----

Edit 
Libby_VanHelsing on Aug 21, 2017 16:42:32

Posts » 219

Yeah I saw the one from 2003 with a young Henry Cavill. They did great casting him with Jim Caviezel.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Charlotte on Aug 21, 2017 23:38:18

Posts » 69

I got this book for free a while ago and finally read it!
It's called Diving Makes the Water Deep and it is really good. <3
It's written by a poet who visited my undergrad about his life dealing with terminal cancer and it was so touching. <3
The cover art is cool too, has a little bird man on it.

----- signature -----

Busy IRL So Activity Will Be Low 7 Days Til I Move!
Edit 
Libby_VanHelsing on Aug 24, 2017 14:23:22

Posts » 219

Two book series I've recently enjoyed is the Vampire Academy series and a independent series called Seeds: It's a spin on the myth of Persephone and Hades.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Sep 08, 2017 13:48:23

Posts » 15

@ Libby_VanHelsing: Yes! It was so good and I hardly recognized Henry Cavill, they did make a great casting pair. I'm actually looking into the Vampire Academy series right now. I don't read romance that much but if I do start it would definitely be of the supernatural/paranormal realm. Guilty pleasure!

Is Seeds a volume series by M.M. Kin? I looove Greek mythology.

@ Charlotte: Hi, Charlotte! I looked it up just now and it does sound fascinating. Raw material in that kind of genre is always a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing, I'm absolutely going to give it a read! Zach Savich sounds like such an impressive author, too. Nice to read that he teaches in the BFA Program for Creative Writing. Poetry is a wonderfully vast form of literature, I've so much respect for. That cover art is incredible! <3

----- signature -----

Edit 
Libby_VanHelsing on Sep 10, 2017 02:02:27

Posts » 219

Yes! It is. I really enjoyed the series. Vampire Academy isn't just a romance series, there's also girl power and the friendship between Lissa and Rose. I just tend to focus on the romance between Rose and Dimitri. I really enjoyed the series because it wasn't like the vampire series that are out there. Mead did a lot research for it. There's also a Bloodlines series which is a spinoff but I don't think it is as good.

----- signature -----

Edit 
First | [1]