Zelda: Wand of Gamelon
(games)
MYFCOnline.com Message Boards » Comic books and Comic Strips »
The Comic Corner

First | [1]
The Comic Corner
Cafe_Chat on Dec 12, 2017 05:46:52

Posts » 45

Just a little random place to comic chat. Let us know what kinds of comics get your speech bubbles going! ;o

I’m getting into Extremity. The story and artwork are by Daniel Warren Johnson, a freelance illustrator and comic artist based in Chicago. He has done work like: S.H.I.E.L.D. Secret History, and The Ghost Fleet.

If you’re interested, you can check it out. [ LINK ]

More about the comic series. [ LINK ]

----- attachment -----

----- signature -----

Edit 
Re: The Comic Corner
Cafe_Chat on Dec 12, 2017 05:58:43

Posts » 45

And Faith. Which I love so much! [ LINK ]

The best thing to happen to this character was getting out of Harbinger, A.K.A the-stone-age-views of comics. Where Faith was more fat than superhero.

Faith is funny, aware and has moments of genuine issues. She is one of the most legitimate characters I have ever come across in comics. She’s down-to-earth and so are her co-workers and the space she works in. Sometimes, Faith’s personal life alone makes her an incredible superhero, without the use of her persona or powers. I’m also thrilled about the pop culture references throughout. They are well placed.

After losing her parents in an accident, Faith Herbert finds solace in fictional worlds of superheroes and tabletop RPGs. Years later as an adult, she discovers her latent psionic abilities and joins a team called the Renegades, adopting the codename Zephyr. Through her experiences with them, she not only comes into her own as a superhero but a person in general.

What I like best about Faith as a character, is that she doesn't try to be a mantle for women’s issues. It’s not her responsibility to convey any sort of moral principle to readers. Faith is a woman who goes about her life as a woman who happens to be plus-sized. She fights her own battles and feels like a real person in how she chooses to handle situations. The characters and storyline don't push for body positivity. Any reader going through body and self-image awareness can take away their own personal outlook. Which is why it’s so refreshing to read. Faith is more considerate than that and I personally think it’s a stronger message than a surface dynamic.

A comic called Britannia was advertised on Faith and it always looked interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up one day. Here's more information if you're interested. [ LINK ]

----- attachment -----

----- signature -----

Edit 
NeelaRaboulski on Dec 18, 2017 17:07:37

Posts » 245

I like the idea of buying comics from independent companies because I'm not biased with them. With DC and Marvel I know which ones I like and who I think is better but with independent companies I have no clue what their history is, so I focus more on their stories. My personal favorite right now is Mercy Sparx from Devils Due. She's a demon who is sent from God to arrest his fallen angels in order to receive time off her sentence in limbo.

----- signature -----

Romitri is life.

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Jan 19, 2018 17:29:59

Posts » 45

Ooh, sounds pretty interesting, Libby. I'm always onboard with a demon doing the work of good. They always exceed the divine in their expectations and end up making a mockery of their integrity.

I like the idea of buying comics from independent companies because I'm not biased with them.

Me too, there are so many fresh ideas and new storyline types.

I've always taken to DC and Dark Horse more when it came to the more established companies. Lately, I've been looking for someone that has an almost H.R. Giger-ish art style with a Post-Apocalyptic subgenre.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 10, 2018 11:18:25

Posts » 45

Kind of torn on the news about an upcoming Faith movie. Didn't really follow the news and skimmed through the overly negative responses. Apparently, a lot of aggressive SJWs have been using Faith as a mascot for body positivity. Without looking into what the comic is about. The driving force behind the movie concept is absolutely reducing the characters in that regard. As a result, an increasing number of anti-SJW individuals are spreading discouraging reviews to newcomers of the series. What a mess! The comic is pure fun.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Charlotte on Aug 10, 2018 22:39:26

Posts » 169

Speaking of comic book movies I randomly rewatched Tank Girl the other day
which is...a terrible adaption of a really awesome comic book
but I've always enjoyed the cheeseball movie anyways. xD
It helps that Lori Petty is in it,
but the comic is superior, I need to catch up on the new ones the authors have released recently.

----- signature -----

Edit 
NeelaRaboulski on Aug 11, 2018 20:40:32

Posts » 245

Wow I didn't even know there was a tank girl movie. Movie adaptations aren't always up to par with the source material. I'm excited to see the New Mutants movie. It has been ticking me off so much every time they push the release date back. It originally was supposed to come out this past March but with Infinity War and Deadpool 2, it got pushed back to next February. But now there's the Phoenix movie coming out so it got pushed back even farther.

----- signature -----

Romitri is life.

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 31, 2018 22:16:28

Posts » 45

Charlotte, I love that movie. On the grounds of it being a guilty pleasure. xD Lori Petty did make it more tolerable but growing up and watching Fraggle Rock. The Rippers were embarrassingly less cheesy to me than they were for others. I know, it's pretty dumb! Good fun though. You're right about it being horrible compared to the amazing comic! Here's to cheeseball movies, lol.

Hi NeelaRaboulski. :D If you haven't seen it yet you should. It's a lot of silly fun. I get what you mean when things get pushed back. That used to happen to the Constantine television show before they just decided to cancel it. ;-;

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Oct 21, 2018 07:58:30

Posts » 45

I have a box full of X-Men comics based on the 90's show that I've been wanting to talk about. Currently waiting on some that I purchased that were missing from the collection. For the time being, I've been reading some old Spider-Man stuff. Pretty good but wow, were the times different.

Personally felt like Gwen Stacy drew the short straw when it came to writers and her presence. She was developing nicely as a character and was suddenly thrown into turmoil because of misplaced insight on youth culture. Gwen was Peter's rock and solid ground when he needed some reassurance in his life. Peter was planned to have a child with Gwen but the idea was retired due to "youth not being able to understand child-rearing". Although, it was perfectly fine for Black Cat to slut all over the place and molest Spider-Man when given the opportunity. LOL! And it was okay for Gwen to have children, just not with Peter because "youth can be impressionable and Spider-Man was for boys".

Mary Jane was inserted to better serve Peter as a character in the beginning of her creation. I would have loved to have seen him fall out of love with Gwen and create a romance with MJ. Instead of Gwen getting with Norman Osborn, having some unnecessary, disastrous children that no one asked for. The ridiculousness of age differences and a vast variety of other mistreatment of Stacy as a character before just having her killed off in the most ludicrous way possible. Then using her death to guilt-trip Peter into an inconsistent plot mechanism. Where he loved her but didn't and somehow all of it was his fault.

Reminded me of the crazy way they tried to get rid of DC's Jason Todd by giving him HIV and dragging him through the mud for as long as possible. Jason Todd became an even more tragic character due to this kind of history. I found him pretty interesting. Batman: Under the Red Hood is still one of my favorite animated comic movies. It's a must-see if you're into comics or comic characters.

I'm interested in the new comics that place Gwen as Spider-Gwen of Earth-65. As of yet I've only rummaged through a few pages here and there. I'm currently reading through the Ultimate Fallout series and have been more invested in Miles Morales. If you've read the new Gwen arcs let me know what you think?!

----- signature -----

Edit 
First | [1]