Kill Me Baby
(anime/manga)
MYFCOnline.com Message Boards » Movies and Stage Plays » Coraline
Coraline Character Assessments?

First | [1]
Coraline Character Assessments?
Cafe_Chat on Feb 06, 2018 14:57:58

Posts » 38

Read the book Coraline by Neil Gaiman, illustration by Dave McKean. Followed by watching the movie, since I haven’t seen it in so long. Then I did some research into the characters because I was doing a bit of an art study. I was kind of disappointed at how much negativity the character Wybie Lovat had received. Given that the majority of disapproving criticism came from radical SJWs with incoherent examinations. Jeez, they seem convinced that men are such an abomination, fictional and all. Wybie became something overlooked and derogated in the irony that he was unnecessary and subtracted from Coraline as a character.

Personally, I really liked Wybie! We see a child go through anxiety and prefers self-adventure instead of extroverted activity. It's clear he has trouble talking to people but he still makes the effort. It's even used against him in the storyline, as an individual that doesn't deserve to be vocal about his distress. It’s hinted that his Other underwent both emotional and physical abuse. Coraline helps him overcome a bit of these negative affiliations.

I hate how she had his help? Uh no she can do that herself.

Another overlooked message between the two acquaintances is that it's okay to seek help from another. You can't be strong 100% of the time throughout your experiences and that's okay. Coraline tries escaping the reality of her situation. Despite warnings from wiser characters, like the cat. Coraline herself was a bit of a selfish character that needed to grow. She saw Other Wybie's helplessness to speak as a personally pleasing condition. When his expressions showed a concern for her returning through the door she mocked his silence. To me, Other Wybie's help was significant for both characters. Wybie was done letting his anxiety be turned into cowardice and silence. In return, Coraline found someone the same age as her to rely on as an authentic friend. Through Wybie, she learned that she wasn't as alone as she thought she was. She made other friends. Mr. Bobinsky, Ms. Spink and Ms. Forcible, the cat.

Wybies character shouldn’t exist. He takes a lot off of Coraline. He’s only there to help her along with dialog.

Wybie clearly has other responsibilities that don't involve Coraline. He doesn't simply exist to give her additional dialogue or boost her personality. Wybie takes care of his grandmother, looks after the grounds of their property, The Pink Palace. Clears it of rats. His grandmother is part of the major storyline!

I’m going to ignore the fact that Wybie saved the day when this is a story about her triumph. He is there for misogynistic purposes and that’s not okay.

They made Coraline out to be a bully against him for NO REASON. This is how our females end up being represented.

The whole movie makes him special. I literally sighed hard. Who knew about the well? Wybie. Who told the cat that other mother was evil? Wybie. Who saved Coraline because she couldn’t save herself? Wybie.

I’m a little confused by a lot of the comments I saw. Wybie doesn’t feel inserted to overwhelm the female lead. He can’t even look other characters in the eye when talking to them. A contrast to Coraline. He doesn’t save the day. Coraline is a strong character from the start. She succeeds in helping the ghost children, and rescues her parents, and outwits the Beldam. Wybie doesn’t save her, he helps her. There is nothing misogynistic about an 11-year-old boy extending compassion. Wybie has his own personality that ends up being inconsequential if you don’t look into it yourself. Ultimately, he helped her because he cared about her as a person when he didn’t have to. He didn’t have to believe his grandmother’s stories were true. When he called Coraline “crazy” and ran out on her rant his character rethinks the situation in her favor. When he didn’t have to because whether it was true or not, he had concern for her.

Coraline wasn’t a senseless bully, either. Both the book and movie express that she has a bold personality at times. Saying what she feels and thinks and speaks her mind like that of a child would. Of course he disagreed with the authenticity of her Other World story. They had just met, why would they automatically trust each other to a great deal of respect? They’re also both 11 years of age. What they say and do is going to be a little eccentric.

Wybie knows a lot about the grounds and other characters and has heard some strange stories, I’m sure. The happenings in the storyline took place considerably before Coraline got there. Wybie’s knowledge and information don’t make him singularly central, he’s a tritagonist. Of course, he knew about the well. It’s his grandmother’s property. Of course, Other Wybie told the cat. He looked after it. The cat even mentions that he slips between worlds but has little interest outside of its own. Therefore, Wybie had to tell the cat Other Mother was wicked, and the cat trusts his word for taking care of it. Coraline did everything that she needed to do, herself.

In the end, both characters help each other and that's okay. Finding reliable friendships is healthy. Going through ordeals and trials with companionship is not a weakness. It's character development. Wybie is a great character and it’s terrible how overlooked and how judged he often is.

----- signature -----

Edit 
Re: Coraline Character Assessments?
Alice on Feb 07, 2018 17:51:12

Posts » 84

Gotta love the feminazis butchering a good story.

I liked Wybie. He was a really sweet supporting character. I don't see why these people are so mad. Coraline was always the main heroine but that shouldn't mean she doesn't deserve a friend or two.

I think people are just way too damn negative and dramatic about everything...

Reminds me of the persistent arguments that The Little Mermaid is racist. Get the hell out of here.

----- signature -----

He's my man and I love him so much..

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Feb 09, 2018 16:40:07

Posts » 38

Too true! D: Usually I don't bother with any of it but the amount of hate this character received is crazy. There's still fresh arguments about Wybie and a few YouTube videos that were made recently. Just wanted to bring something positive because I think he was a wonderful character.

----- signature -----

Edit 
sealegs on Mar 17, 2018 23:45:48

Posts » 4

i love Wybie (also i've never seen anyone complain about him because he's a dude? only because he want in the books? maybe i'm not paying enough attention)

----- signature -----

Edit 
Cafe_Chat on Aug 10, 2018 13:00:15

Posts » 38

I found random articles and comments surrounding the character. To tidy the clutter you can always search with Wybie and feminist in the same sentence, lol!

There are also a few videos on YouTube, from 2016- to now. One YouTuber deleted my comment about it. It wasn't even personal or disrespectful to her channel or fans. Just a bit of highlighting on some good qualities of the character. What a shame!

----- signature -----

Edit 
First | [1]